Tuesday, March 30, 2004
A bug has been infecting the entire Pine Tree state, so I've been off-line for a couple of days. So let's do a quick recap.
- New NATO members: Great thing. It largely symbolic, but granting these former Soviet satellites membership confirms their independence and standing as democratic members of the global community. The Russians say they don't like NATO so close to their borders, particularly in the Baltic states. Well, perhaps if you hadn't brutally occupied these countries for so long, they'd be more enamored of you. Russia's concerns here mean jack squat.
- Condy Rice: For an administration that usually seems to know what it is doing (even if what it's doing is stupid, like the Medicare giveaway), Rice's refusal to testify in the 9/11 hearing is baffling. Privilege or not, it makes it look like Bush has something to hide. Nothing positive for the administration can come from her not going to the Hill.
- Richard Clarke: So which is it? Was the administration on top of terrorism or not? And his statement that he knew something would happen before 9/11 is bogus. If you remember, Clarke's big worry was computer terrorism, not planes slamming into buildings. And if he did know, didn't he have a duty to resign then, and make his knowledge public?
- 9/11 hearings: Big surprise, it's devolving into party politics. Republicans claiming Clinton didn't do enough. Gosh, and if in 1998 Clinton had invaded Afghanistan, I am sure the GOP wouldn't have been screaming about "illegal invasions" and trying to impeach Clinton on that as well. Democrats say that Republicans aren't doing enough now. We've invaded two nations and are installing two new democratic governments in an area that historically is bereft of them. We've used every weapon in our arsenal short of nuclear weapons. Perhaps the Democrats, instead of complaining, could tell us what they would do more of. Because I don't see what more there is they could do.
- Possible TYCO mistrial: Who is the jackass that is pretending that Kozlowski and Swartz are actually innocent? Apparently it’s a 79-year-old socialite. That’s great. These scum embezzle hundreds of millions of dollars and tank their stock, causing lots of people to lose money. Yet this blueblood thinks that somehow this is okay? The evidence is so overwhelming I this case that her only excuse can be willful ignorance of the facts.