<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Her Voice Makes My Ears Bleed

I don't like Ann Coulter.


That felt really good to say. I don't like Coulter or Al Franken or Michael Savage or Garofalo or any of these other partisan shills. But Coulter really fries my bacon because of her ego, which is amazingly larger than Franken's. And that is saying something.


She recently was on Bill O'Reilly's show when they had this exchange:


O'REILLY:  I'll tell you.  Here's what he [a military analyst close to O'Reilly - teddy] thinks has gone wrong.  Not enough troops on the ground, number one. 

COULTER:  Yeah, but that's not a problem.  That's something that can cause a problem. 

O'REILLY:  Well, it's a problem in the sense we can't provide the security that we need to provide for the country to be free.

COULTER:  But it's pretty darn safe over there.

O'REILLY:  Our Fox correspondents in Baghdad won't go out of the hotel.  That's not a good sign, Ann. 

COULTER:  I wouldn't go out of the hotel in Washington, D.C. 

And I stop here because I don't know if over-exposure to Ann Coulter is harmful in the mind-numbing way or the "unshielded plutonium" way. Regardless, her level of complete disregard for the facts is astounding.


"It's pretty darn safe over there." Really? Are you serious? Well then, Ann, here's what I propose: Go to Baghdad. I am sure you can since you have somehow convinced people you are a journalist instead of a shill. Then stay in a hotel OUTSIDE of the Green Zone by a good two to three miles. No Marine guards or private contractors, since it is "pretty darn safe." I am sure you'll be just fine, since Baghdad is "pretty darn safe." No car bombs going off, or Polish employees of a construction company getting kidnapped, or any other abductions, since it is "pretty darn safe." And this doesn't include Iraqis in Baghdad getting kidnapped at the rate of two a day. Which is okay, Ann, because I have a feeling the Iraqis don't enter into your calculus here.


And the DC hotel crack, Ann? Unless you are staying somewhere SE of the River, you must be joking. I have stayed in DC numerous times, more than I can count. I have never felt unsafe there. And the last time I checked, no one was lobbing mortar rounds into the Watergate Hotel. And what does your pithy little statement mean, anyway? It doesn't address what O'Reilly said at all. It's just a snarky aside that is supposed to impress the viewing audience. Well, consider me unimpressed.


I understand her overall point: things are better in Iraq that the media says they are. I happen to agree with that statement, thought there is much we should be doing better at. But that gets completely lost in her posturing and over-the-top rhetoric. And what is worse is that she believes it. People like Coulter are toxic to the body politic. They cheapen and coarsen debate on important topics. The fact she has a national audience is scary.


But hey, don't take my word for it. Witness Coulter's hubris with your own two eyes. I am not repsonsible for any vision impairment or eyeball-meltings that result.


You'll notice I didn't include Bill O'Reilly in the list at the top of the page. Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I don't. Which is a good indication that he is thinking on his own and not parroting a party line.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?  Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com