Friday, April 02, 2004
Now Condy Rice is testifying next week in the 9/11 hearings. While this is a good move by the Admin. (she is eloquent and will blow Clarke out of the water), it perpetuates these hearings, which are a joke and should end now.
NO ONE could have predicted 9/11. NO ONE could have stopped it. The structure of our intelligence services is so flawed that there was no way to bring together all the information that was contained in hundreds of bits and pieces. But this problem was known about shortly after 9/11. So why the hearings?
Blame. As usual in Washington, the two parties have decided to try and nail each other to the wall. The problem is this time they are doing so while using thousands of needlessly slain people as the hammer. This is what it has come to. Rather than working together to fix the problem, the GOP and Dems are using the memory of the slain to score points off the other side. It's disgusting, crass and vile. These hearings should stop now and everyone whose been involved should apologize for their participation. Starting with that jackass Clarke, who used the hearing to cover himself in glory. If you hate Bush, fine. You're well-known for your ability to hold a grudge. But don't use 9/11 to get your revenge.
Wednesday, March 31, 2004
Well, the new Liberal talk radio network is live now. Air America is spanning the globe...the nation..well, four major cities. They have prominent hosts...b-list hosts...well, they have Franken, Garofalo and one of the Kennedys no one cares about.
I am betting this will be radio at its worst. They won't have anything original to say. Basically, take what is said on Limbaugh and flip it 180 degrees. Now you have what Franken will say. It's essentially Bizzaro-world talk radio. I doubt Al or Janene will lay into anyone on the left side of the street. Of course, it's not like Rush and Co. are lashing fellow GOPers either.
But the main reason Air America will not work is not because of the insipid commentary or the AA-league hosts. It's because their viewpoint already gets major exposure. Their viewpoints on Iraq, Bush and taxes are already on the airwaves via Pacifica Radio and NPR. It gets carried in print via the New York Times, the Boston Globe, the L.A. Times, the Atlanta Constitution-Journal, the Washington Post and a slew of other papers. Right-leaning talk radio developed because of this abundance of left-thought in the media. It's still there. So what inequality is Air America trying to rectify?
Tuesday, March 30, 2004
A bug has been infecting the entire Pine Tree state, so I've been off-line for a couple of days. So let's do a quick recap.
- New NATO members: Great thing. It largely symbolic, but granting these former Soviet satellites membership confirms their independence and standing as democratic members of the global community. The Russians say they don't like NATO so close to their borders, particularly in the Baltic states. Well, perhaps if you hadn't brutally occupied these countries for so long, they'd be more enamored of you. Russia's concerns here mean jack squat.
- Condy Rice: For an administration that usually seems to know what it is doing (even if what it's doing is stupid, like the Medicare giveaway), Rice's refusal to testify in the 9/11 hearing is baffling. Privilege or not, it makes it look like Bush has something to hide. Nothing positive for the administration can come from her not going to the Hill.
- Richard Clarke: So which is it? Was the administration on top of terrorism or not? And his statement that he knew something would happen before 9/11 is bogus. If you remember, Clarke's big worry was computer terrorism, not planes slamming into buildings. And if he did know, didn't he have a duty to resign then, and make his knowledge public?
- 9/11 hearings: Big surprise, it's devolving into party politics. Republicans claiming Clinton didn't do enough. Gosh, and if in 1998 Clinton had invaded Afghanistan, I am sure the GOP wouldn't have been screaming about "illegal invasions" and trying to impeach Clinton on that as well. Democrats say that Republicans aren't doing enough now. We've invaded two nations and are installing two new democratic governments in an area that historically is bereft of them. We've used every weapon in our arsenal short of nuclear weapons. Perhaps the Democrats, instead of complaining, could tell us what they would do more of. Because I don't see what more there is they could do.
- Possible TYCO mistrial: Who is the jackass that is pretending that Kozlowski and Swartz are actually innocent? Apparently it’s a 79-year-old socialite. That’s great. These scum embezzle hundreds of millions of dollars and tank their stock, causing lots of people to lose money. Yet this blueblood thinks that somehow this is okay? The evidence is so overwhelming I this case that her only excuse can be willful ignorance of the facts.